I have had the pleasure of meeting illustrator Serena Geddes, and watching her draw in front of a bunch of over-excited kids! She is utterly charming. Her latest picture book will certainly be much loved in our house – especially by Miss 5. This post is written by her…
Thank you for delivering Lily’s Wish to me. I think it’s a great book. Other five year old girls like me will really love it, especially if their name is Lily – like mine! Here are some questions about the book.
- Where did you do the pictures? Do you have a special office (studio) where you do art?
- Did you use watercolours to paint the illustrations? What else did you use to make the pictures?
- My favourite picture is the first one where Lily is sitting at her desk doing work. It looks just like me! Which is your favourite picture?
- I liked your pictures in Samuel’s Kisses and Lily’s Wish. What is your very next book going to be?
Love Lily xxxxxxxxx
What a lovely surprise it was to receive this email from you, not only are these very good questions I think it is extra special that one of my books has been reviewed by a young reader who has the same name as Lily!
I am glad you like Lily’s Wish it is one of my favourite books becuase I have nephew’s and a niece who live in London so I have travelled to see them all the way over in the United Kingdom. Have you been to London? It is very nice, but a little cold and it seems to rain a lot
Here are my answers to your questions:
- Where did you do the pictures? Do you have a special office (studio) where you do art? I work from my home in Sydney and have set up my desk in the front room that has a lot of sunlight and plenty of room so I can lay out all my paintings on the floor. This helps me see how the colours and illustrations would look if it was laid out in a book.
- Did you use watercolours to paint the illustrations? What else did you use to make the pictures? I drew the pictures using a 2B pencil and then painted them in watercolour. Some of the drawings have a little bit of coloured pencil over it, like Lily’s hair and Santa’s suit. Seeing this was the first time I had drawn scenery I had to use a lot of reference material searching on the computer for pictures of the Sydney Harbour and Big Ben in London.
- My favourite picture is the first one where Lily is sitting at her desk doing work. It looks just like me! Which is your favourite picture? That is my mum’s favourite picture too! I do like the first picture but my favourite is of the Reindeer flying over London past Big Ben.
- I liked your pictures in Samuel’s Kisses and Lily’s Wish. What is your very next book going to be? I am glad you like Samuel’s Kisses and Lily’s Wish! My next book is the 4th book in the series for Totally Twins. I am working on the front cover at the moment but shhh… it’s a secret. Author Aleesah Darlison is still working on it!
I hope I have helped with your questions. I have a question for you Lily, can I put your questions on my website news page? I am sure other readers would love to see your review and questions
I haven’t been to London but my friend Holly lives there and I would like to visit her one day. Mum said of course you can put my letter on your website. That would be cool. You are cool, and all your pictures are cool. Happy Christmas.
Love Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Illustrations courtesy of Serena Geddes
I received a review copy of Lily’s Wish free of charge.