I’ve blogged about plans for it, tweeted about it and teased with facebook updates on its progress. And though it still isn’t quite finished, I think it’s time to show you what we’ve done with our dry creek bed!
We started by digging out the path for the creek to follow. We worked with the natural slope of the land and chose a spot for our creek to tumble over the rock wall at the bottom.
We decided lining our dry creek with pond liner would help the creek to “run” in wet weather (and also prevent weeds from springing up through it). The liner wasn’t cheap, but we think the kids will have more fun with it. Once the liner was down it was time to start bringing in the rocks. Did I mention we live on a steep hill?! It took my husband quite some time to wheelbarrow up a ute load of rocks!!
Once rocks were in we could take a trip to the nursery to choose some native grasses. We chose some established plants from a larger nursery, and smaller (cheaper!) tube stock from our local Greening Australia nursery. The kids loved helping to decide which grasses would look best in our backyard.
Our final addition (for the moment) was a bridge to cross over! I was content to plonk two sleepers across, but my wiser other half made a simple bridge which is much sturdier. The kids love trip-trapping over the bridge, and jumping off it into the sandpit.
And here’s the whole yard as it is at the moment!! We’d like to add some smaller rocks in a similar colour to completely cover the pond liner, and mulch up to the rocks. We’ll add more plants gradually. I’d also like to add another wider “bridge” right at the top of the hill with a small water tank on it. I can just see the kids turning the tap on from the tank of their own rainwater to run down the creek! We’re pretty proud of it so far though.
We roughly spent:
- $130 pondliner
- $100 rocks
- $100 plants
- $40 sleepers
- $10 on snacks for hardworking Dad
- Total = $380
(You can also check out the costings for another dry creek bed over at Irresistible Ideas for Play Based Learning).